In early May of 1863, Kemper’s Brigade, C.S.A., returning from the Suffolk Campaign, passed through Jerusalem on the way to join Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia in Culpepper. Among these troops were two companies of Southampton County volunteers led by Colonel J. Mayo. The troops encamped at and around the Tavern for three days. Many of the local troops were joined by family members for one last visit before the Brigade left for the invasion of Maryland and Pennsylvania. Exactly two months later these troops were in Pickett’s Charge at Gettysburg on July 3, 1863.